Thank you to our parents.
Always a good place to start. Let's be honest - parents are contributing in many ways (always). Financially, emotionally, etc. They are the first person to call when you need anything, right? Advice...money...food...shoes (what?)...babysitting, help cleaning a house and laundry after having a baby....someone to make you laugh when you've had a bad day....someone to comfort you when you find out your 3 year old has cancer...yep, parents top the list. Sometimes I want to mail a thank you card to my parents that says 'thanks in advance for what you're about to do even though I am not sure what that is yet...I just know it's coming.' I should write Hallmark cards.
Thank you to our sisters and brothers.
Family first. That really holds true. They were the first ones to know about Levi. They were the first ones to 'show up'. They have been there with us every step of the way so far. I want to share just a few examples so Levi knows what I mean.
- Jill: She was the person to show up at the hospital. I pushed the button for the double doors to open and there she was. She couldn't wait. And she's been working hard at the fundraiser for Levi. And praying...hard.
- Hoss: I love my brother. I would never admit that...but let's be serious for a minute - he's the only person in my life (parents aside) that's been with me from the beginning. He's the kind of person that if you need anything, he's there - he is a man of his word. He sent me message after message of encouragement. He knew I was hurting and he knew I needed him - always have. Always will.
- Elizabeth: My first week back to work was this week...Elizabeth has been here every day taking care of Levi. She stays until we're settled - doing dishes, making food, rocking Levi, bringing food, etc. And she was there for an entire DAY at the hospital with us. No one likes being in a hospital room all day --- she was there. She helped us with understanding Levi's meds and she always showed up coffee in hand. I love her - for many reasons.
- Gretchen: Just like Elizabeth, Gretchen's been here all week helping me with Levi and getting back to my work routine. She's walked Levi in a stroller in this summer heat at 36 weeks pregnant (Levi insisted on a stroller ride). She's picked Ellie up every morning to take her to daycare and she's picked her up every day and brought her home to me. She's got an almost 2 year old (Mateo) and she's 36 weeks pregnant....that is not easy. Oh, and she brings Levi gigantic doughnuts...so Levi's a big fan.
- Joe: Joe was at the hospital every night when were there with Levi. Levi had a rough night one night with his port and just a couple of things that went wrong throughout the day -- I was overwhelmed, in tears, walked out of the room kind of a day -- Joe stayed in the room with Levi and Drew and encouraged him. He showed up with Twizzlers (my fav), wine (shhhh...), and goldfish. He was there - for all of us. Levi loves his Uncle Joe so having him there during this difficult time - I hope Levi understands that's an example of family -- you are always there. The good and the bad.
| All the siblings are captured here plus I love this pic :) |
My girls (Anna, Casey, Melissa, Lauren, Jodie)
So, I have these crazy ladies that keep following me around...since 6th grade. We're tight - always there for each other. You know when you start to make a list of people to invite to your party - they are the first to roll off my tongue. Jodie works at Levine Children's Hospital so she came to see me a couple of times - the first when we were in the waiting room after Levi's port was inserted and his first LP. She was a good balance of 'nurse' and 'friend' which I needed at the time. The other girls showed up at the hospital unexpected - they walked in and I remember thinking -- what did I do right in life? They drove ALL the way from Monroe to downtown Charlotte on a weekend to stop by and see Levi. They have no clue how much that meant to me. To see them walkthrough that door...I just thought to myself - these ladies will always be there for me. They have been since 6th grade so chances are... ;)
![]() |
| With my girls after I had baby Levi |
My other girls (Katie, Laura)
Then there's these gals from the 'college years'. It went down like this. I was sitting on the floor in the playroom on some floor in the hospital alone - Drew and Levi were in the potty. I look up and there they are. They drove 1 hr 1/2 to see us for less than two hours. Laura had been there with me when this started a couple weeks ago, and I am convinced God wanted her back in my life (on a more regular basis) to get me through this. I am so grateful. And Katie - she's always been there. Katie's heart is massive. She helps anyone in need --- so imagine how she helps her best friend!
| I was 5 months preggo with Levi in this picture with Kirsten, Laura, and Katie |
Charlotte Gang
So we have this "gang" of friends that formed moons ago at The Lodge where I lived with Melissa before I met Drew. I think the year was 2003? We have a huge group made up of couples (and now kids) and if/when any of us need something, the group comes together. This gang never let's us down --- they have always supported us and when this happened with Levi - they opened their hearts and their wallets. I love them all more than I can ever explain and we would do the same for any of them.
Kristen and Pete
Our buddies. Kristen and I have been friends since college. Pete, her hubby, quickly won my heart and become good friends with my husband over the years. We love them - we're so different, yet so similar. Pete knows cancer all too well.....which I hate. But they showed up this past weekend. They drove 3.5 hours to see us Labor Day weekend. They brought their beautiful daughters, a "gold" rock, and stuff dog to cheer my baby boy up. Levi LOVES them -- like does not want to leave their house because he loves them...so it was so amazing that they did that. Some people inspire you---- they make you want to be better...that's how we feel around K&P.
And all the other beautiful people in our lives
Okay, so I was seriously planning to break this thank you down to as many 'groups' as possible but I now see that will take forever. I mean friends that I haven't seen since high school and college gave. People I've never met gave, and in many cases gave a lot. Prayers and financial contributions were coming in from family, friends, work, etc. from ALL over the country. Overwhelmed. It really makes you think when someone you haven't seen in 10+ years sends you support. Or someone you've never met.
So, if you read to this point....
Thank you. It's really that simple. Thank you for praying for my son. Thank you for giving with your hearts. Thank you for believing in us. Thank you for making our lives better at a time that could be so much worse. Thank you for knowing that we needed all of you - for different reasons.
It is well with my soul.

2 comments:
All of you encompass what is right in the world. Your words are filled with genuine inspiration and love. Levi is superman, but with a family like yours even kryptonite has no chance. #levistrong
Thank you Anup for your kind words and support. We really appreciate it....please keep the positive thoughts and prayers coming for Levi.
Post a Comment